Stay Home and Move More
Findings ways to move more is essential for good physical and mental health.
We know lots of people are keen to better understand the government’s latest advice on how to stay physically active during the coronavirus pandemic.
The below guidance gives a summary of what you currently can and can’t do.
- You can now go outside more than once a day for exercise
- You can exercise alone, with members of your household, or with up to five people from outside your household while keeping two metres apart at all times
- Many facilities associated with outdoor sports and physical activities can reopen, including basketball and tennis courts, playing spaces like golf courses (public and private), playing fields and watersports
- If you’re exercising in the countryside, remember to follow the countryside code and act responsibly
- You can travel for physical activity. Ideally use your nearest, local appropriate venue to reduce pressure on transport infrastructure
- Once you’re at home, remember to wash your hands
- There are lots of online resources that have been made available for free to help you to keep active in your home, or in your garden if you have one
- The advice for clinically vulnerable groups, such as people aged over 70, remains the same. If you're in this group you're advised to stay at home as much as possible and, if you do go out, take particular care to minimise contact with others outside your household
- If you’re unwell, use your energy to get better and don't try to be active. If you can get out of bed, then do so, but don't try to do too much
- Finally, if you’re feeling better after having had the virus, return to your normal routine very gradually and make sure to have additional rest periods during and after exercise.
From Saturday 4 July, playgrounds and outdoor gyms will be able to reopen if the provider feels they are ready and can do so safely. Two households will also be able to exercise together regardless of their size.
Any questions or feedback, get in touch via Twitter @MoveMoreSheff