What is it?
Sheffield primary schools are participating in 'When's Your Car-Free Day?" during #MoveMoreMonth and beyond.
We're asking families to commit to a car-free day at least once a week to make the school run more fun, safe and sociable.
Walking, cycling, scooting and ‘park & stride’ are all active ways to travel to school and if using public transport, getting off one or two stops earlier makes this an active way to travel too.
Car-free days are also a great way to clock up your Move More Minutes for the Workplace Challenge!
1. ASK your child's school to sign up.
Has your child's school signed up to the Car Free Day campaign?
- If not please ask them to get in touch by calling 0114 2736606 or emailing PublichealthC&[email protected] to receive the campaign pack and resources.
Does your school run a Walking Bus scheme?
- If not, could you support school to do this? More informally, a walking bus could just involve a few friends and their parents meeting to go to school together.
2. CHOOSE a day of the week to go car-free
Which day(s) of the week will be most convenient for you to go car-free? Work out your route and your car-free way to travel.
3. COMMIT to your car-free day
Make a pledge to have a regular car-free day at least once a week starting from June:
- Write it down! Mark your car-free day(s) on your calendar or display your pledge on your fridge/ notice board
- Arrange to meet friends on the way to school - a date for your diary!
- Get the whole family involved to maintain your motivation and give your car-free day staying power
What if I can't have an entirely car-free day?
Not a problem! 'Park and stride' is another active way to travel and simply involves parking a 10 minute walk away from your destination to give yourself the opportunity to complete the journey on foot. See the Living Streets guide for more details: